Thursday, August 13, 2015

Me, too! By Annika Dunklee –OPTIONAL

Dunklee, Annika Me, too! Kids Can Press, 2015. $16.95  PICTURE BOOK
Anne and Lillemor are best friends, they have a ton in common and share their differences. When a new girl comes to school and Lillemor becomes fast friends with her, Anne is confused and jealous. Can she discover some similarities and gain a new friend?
This wasn’t my favorite friends story because of its focus on similarities. I prefer the way Mo Williams addresses the new friend jealousy in ‘My New Friend Is So Funbecause it doesn’t define friendship as similarities and is gender neutral. I realize this book makes an effort to make differences into similarities, but I would rather focus on friendship as being kind and inclusive. The illustrations are bright and fun.

EL(K-3) –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: