Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Farmer's Away! BAA! NEIGH! by Anne Vittur Kennedy- ESSENTIAL

Kennedy, Anne Vittur The Farmer’s Away! BAA! NEIGH!  PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2014.$15.99. Content: G. 

The barnyard animals are thrilled when the farmer heads out for daily chores and they can finally play.  They swim in the stream, have a picnic, ride a roller coaster, go water skiing, ride in a blimp, etc.  All the while we see the farmer in the distance working hard on his chores.  At the end of the day, the farmer is exhausted and heads back to the barn.  The farm animals scamper to get back to the barnyard in time before the farmer notices their absence.

The title of this book led me to believe that the story line might be like others that I have read.  But the illustrations on the cover of this picture book drew me in and I took a peek inside.  And was I surprised!  I loved the unique and ingenious way the author wrote this book!  The story is told mainly in illustrations with all dialogue in rhyming, yes rhyming, animal sounds. This is something I have never seen before.    The final page will have little ones giggling all the way to their own beds.  The illustrations are incredible and detailed. We loved this book and hope it ends up on every library bookshelf and child’s home.

Pre-K.  EL (K-3). ESSENTIAL. Reviewer: SL. 

No comments: