Thursday, November 6, 2014

Fear the Amoeba (Squish #6) by Jennifer Holm and Matthew Holm –ESSENTIAL


Holm, Jennifer and Holm, Matthew Fear the Amoeba (Squish #6) 96 pgs. Simon & Random House Books for Young Readers, 2014. $6.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. GRAPHIC NOVEL

When Squish and his friends hear about a new scary movie, one that features the dreaded water bear, Squish is pretty excited. Until he gets scared, then every little thing spookS him. Even though he knows the movie is fake, he just can’t get unscared. He feels pressure to not look like a chicken and go to the next movie in the series. Will Squish go to the movie and close his eyes or will he get some great advice just in time.

I must admit that this series has totally grown on me and I look forward to reading each new one. I still don’t care for Babymouse by the same authors, but Squish has got heart. I love the plots, which offer subtle advice for dealing with real life, the inclusion of a Squish’s favorite comic book, and the fun and interesting plots. I would recommend this series for any school library, it has particular appeal to second grade boys at my school. 


EL (K-3) -ESSENTIAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: