Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Summer Invitation by Charlotte Silver - NO

Silver, Charlotte  The Summer Invitation,  182p. Roaring Brook Press, 2014.   $16.99. Language: G;  Mature Content: PG (implied sex, drinking); Violence: G.  

Franny’s eccentric aunt have invited her and her older sister Valentine to live in New York City for the summer.  The girls agree and head to the bright lights.  Instead of exploring the modern New York, however, they find themselves seeing the city from their aunt’s perspective, even though they have been left with the house sitter.  Valentine hopes to find love — and her birth father. 

I’ll be honest.  This book mystified me.  I think it is a New York thing - you just don’t get it unless you’ve lived there for an extended time.  I would love for someone else to chime and give me a different perspective.  

NOT RECOMMENDED
Cindy - Library Teacher 

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

Not a children's book. You are right on with your assessment. Here's how I felt: http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2014/05/sparkle-spa.html