Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Telephone by Mac Barnett –NOT RECOMMENDED

Barnett, Mac and Illustrated by  Corace, Jen  Telephone 40 pgs. Chronicle Books LLC, 2014. $16.99. Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. PICTURE BOOK
A visual representation of the classic telephone whispering game.  A mother bird wants her bird son to come home from dinner. As message is passed bird from bird it changes. The last bird, luckily is a wise owl, who is able to pass the original message to the little bird who can then fly home for dinner.
The illustrations were completely darling. I use the telephone game in the library as part of a lesson so I was thrilled to see this book. Additionally I have enjoyed books by this author in the past. But I was sorely disappointed by the utter changes between each bird, not an evolving variation. It kind of missed the point. I also thought it was a bit bizarre and didn't find the humor in it, even though I am usually all about quirky. I will keep my eye out for this illustrator though!

EL(K-3) –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: