Thursday, July 3, 2014

Where’s my Tushy? by Deborah Aronson – NO

Aronson, Deborah  Where’s my Tushy?  24 pgs. Carolrhoda Books, 2014. $17.95 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. PICTURE BOOK
There is a town where all the tushies/butts feel unappreciated, so one night they run off, wearing underwear. They go and enjoy the beach. In the meantime, the people of the town are buttless and as they try to compensate by using padding, they come to miss their tushies and welcome them home!
I am a pretty quirky person, but this book was just too bizarre for me. Are butts under appreciated? Is this a niche in the morals/lesson book genre that was missing? There are a couple of reasons I wouldn't put this book in my school library. The first is that the butts are wearing underwear, including panties, and the butt cheeks really look like busty cleavage. Second, this story, featuring faces above each butt, is fully nightmare inducing. I will not be thanking this author if I have a nightmare about my butt going missing or talking to me, nor will I chance it on students with an even more vivid imagination than mine.

EL (K-3) – NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Stephanie, I think this might be one of my all-time favorite reviews ever! So hilarious and honest. Though, uh, I now kind of want to read the book just so I can see how appalling it is. :-D