Saturday, July 12, 2014

Where's My Homework? by Michael Garland -- ADVISABLE

Garland, Michael Where's My Homework? PICTURE BOOK. Cartwheel Books/Scholastic, 2014. $6.99. Content: G.

A boy's homework is missing. Did aliens sneak into his room and abduct it? Did pirates plunder it? Maybe a snake slithered away with it? As it turns out, the homework-stealer is right under his nose.

Where's My Homework? was enjoyable on the first read, as I wondered what had happened to the assignments, or if they had even existed in the first place. I liked it even better on subsequent reads, though, when I noticed the hint to the culprit on many pages. While the ending is far from original, the journey to it is both fun and funny. It would work well for students practicing their plot-prediction skills, or simply for an entertaining story time read-aloud.

EL (K-3) -- ADVISABLE. Reviewer: Caryn

No comments: