Friday, July 4, 2014

My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten - ADVISABLE

Wettersten, Laura My Faire Lady, 340 p. Simon, 2014.  $18.  Mature Content: PG-13 (talk of hooking up for the summer, implied sex); Language: G; Violence: G.  

Rowena’s boyfriend has dumped her for a freshman – A FRESHMAN!  Rather than spend the summer before her senior year with her best friends watching her ex drool over his new girlfriend, Rowena takes a last minute job as a face painter at a Renaissance Fair in a remote location.   So remote that computers and cell phones are useless and there is no chance of going home on her one day off each week.  Rowena might be interested in having a summer fling with one of the hot jousters, but she has a lot to learn about friendship and love.  

Wettersten is actually fairly profound as Rowena’s story draws to a close.  I was duly impressed.  I am not very fond of the picture on the cover that makes her look like Snow White, but the book inside is actually way better than you might judge it by a cursory glance.  I am glad I read it.  

MS, HS – ADVISABLE.  Cindy, Library Teacher.

No comments: