Thursday, July 10, 2014

Kizzy Ann Stamps by Jeri Watts -- OPTIONAL

Watts, Jeri Kizzy Ann Stamps, 185 pgs. Candlewick Press, 2012. $5.99. Content: PG.

It is 1963, and Kizzy Ann Stamps is about to attend a recently-integrated school. In a series of letters to her new teacher, she describes her fears about going to classes with white students for the first time, as well as her thoughts about civil rights issues and her experiences with her beloved dog Shag.

Oh, how I wanted to love this book. The premise is interesting, and Kizzy Ann's voice captivated me in the first few letters. Unfortunately, the epistolary style made the events in Kizzy Ann's life feel distant because they were summarized instead of happening in the moment. Also, while I very much enjoyed the writing, I kept being pulled out of the story because it was difficult to believe that a child Kizzy Ann's age, and one who had had inadequate schooling, would write with such an adult voice and use such a wide vocabulary. Still, I enjoyed the glimpse into Kizzy Ann's world, and I finished the book with a smile on my face.

MS -- OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Caryn

No comments: