Friday, April 11, 2014

Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester Laminack -ADVISABLE

Laminack, Lester and Illustrated by Cole, Henry Three Hens and a Peacock 32 pgs. Peachtree Publishers; Reprint edition, 2014. $7.95 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. PICTURE BOOK
Everything is as it should be at the Tucker farm, each animal doing what they do best. Until a peacock arrives. He shows off his feathers and people start to stop by the farm more; to take picture or buy farm goods like eggs and milk. This upsets the laying hens, they feel that they are doing all the work. When the peacock and the hens swap roles for a day, nothing works out as planned, and every one learns a lesson about doing what they do best.
I really like this story, it is succinct, bright and fun. I like the message that each creature has a role to play and something they do best. The chickens are full of personality and its fun to watch their silliness. (Wait, that might be my chickens I am talking about). Ok, called me biased, since I love chickens, but I think this book might be useful for introducing the concept of classroom jobs!
PRE-K, EL (K-3) –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: