Saturday, April 6, 2013

Orleans by Sherri Smith - ESSENTIAL


Smith, Sherri L. Orleans, 324 p. Putnam (Penguin), 2013.  $18.  Mature Content: PG (one sentence allusion to rape); Violence: PG (some blood –less than I would have thought); Language – G. 

 In 14 years, New Orleans and the Gulf Coast were hit by a series of seven hurricanes, leaving little time recover – and the final hurricane brought with it a devastating disease, linked to blood types of the survivors, forcing the US government to declare the area a permanent disaster, walling it off, and leaving it to survive or die on its own.  Since her scientist parents died, Fen de la Guerre has found a place for herself in a tribe of O-positives.  When a peaceful meeting between her tribe an another is sabotaged by the AB’s and Fen’s tribal leader dies giving birth, Fen is left with the newborn and is on the run to get the baby out of New Orleans before the disease sets in.  Daniel is a scientist from the Outer States who needs just a little more information before he is sure he can create a cure for the disease, which also killed his little brother decades earlier.  With their disparate backgrounds, Fen and Daniel really don’t understand each other, but they are willing to work together long enough to get what each of them wants --- maybe.  

Smith writes a tight, action-packed and interesting novel of a world gone terribly wrong.  Its been a while since I haven’t been able to put a book down and this one totally did that for me.  The plotting is superb and the imagination is fully evident.  Can’t wait to share this one!  

MS – ESSENTIAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

I've been dying to read this book since I first saw it floating around the book world! Lucky for me I have my hold of it in transit so I should have it soon. I'm even more excited to read it now. Great review!
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Cindy Mitchell said...

Yeah! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Make sure you report back - always good to hear lots of opinions.--Cindy