Sunday, February 3, 2013

Little Bo in London (Book #4) by Julie Andrews Edwards and Emma Walton Hamilton –NOT RECOMMENDED


Edwards, Julie Andrews and Hamilton, Emma Walton Little Bo in London (Book #4) 112 pgs. HarperCollins, 2012. $12.49.  (Rating: G).
Adventurous cats Bo and Panache are aboard a yacht, with their friend Billy and even a Lord and his Lady. When some bad guys show up to steal the yacht, it falls to the cats to turn the tide. Eventually the pair make it all the way to the top –visiting with the Queen of England! The latest book in a series.
I really wanted to like this book, having loved this authors' books when I was a child. But I just think the language puts it out of reach of the intended audience, by including lots of unexplained nautical terms, French words, and just plain advanced vocabulary. It could stand as a read alone. It is my opinion that the illustrations wouldn't be appealing to students as well, the large glossy pages only highlighting how drab and old fashioned they come across.
EL, ELEMENTARY –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I think that Mandy was such a good book that Edwards should never have attempted anything else, but my daughter's favorite is The Last of The Really Great Whangdoodles.

Cindy Mitchell said...

I totally agree! I read my copy of Mandy to death when I was younger. Now I want to read it again.