Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott - OPTIONAL


Marriott, Zoë Shadows on the Moon, 447 pgs. Candlewick Press, 2011. 

Language - PG (1 swear, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG-13; Violence - PG-13; 

Suzume has a father and a cousin who love her and lives joyously. All too soon, though, her world is shattered. Suzume changes until she can't even recognize herself. She continues to take on new roles, becoming Rin and Yue as her life takes shocking steps in new directions. Under these new layers, will anyone--including herself--be able to find the girl Suzume still underneath it all? 

The book started out so happy and full of promise that I wasn't sure how it was going to live up to its mysterious title. Once I shared Suzume's fears and helplessness, I found myself begging her to see what I could so that she wouldn't face the hardships I knew were coming. As her story moved on to Rin and then Yue, I had no idea how her story was going to come to a close. I could only continue to turn the pages and hope for the happy ending I wanted Suzume to have. Suzume-Rin-Yue's story is one that no reader will soon forget. 

HS - OPTIONAL (see ratings). Reviewer: CCH

No comments: