Sunday, December 2, 2012

Zom-b by Darren Shan -PUBLIC ONLY


Shan, Darren Zom-b 192 pgs. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers 2012. $10.19.  

Language: PG-13 (2 F & racist talk), Sexual: R, Violence: R

No one really believes the TV footage of a zombie massacre in neighboring Ireland is real. B has a hard enough home life –an abusive racist father –and its starting to rub off on him. He is a tough kid at school and although his best friend is black, he just can’t help but bully a small black boy at school. When zombies attack at his school –B see’s his friends drop off one by one. To survive he will have to face his own concerns with his growing racism and take a stance.

I really like Zombie books but this one had no spunk and no heart. I could have cared less about the main character and his friends. This book was frigid and violent beyond even my tolerance. A true horror book that left me feeling icky and wishing I hadn't read it. I like to see some fight and some will to live. Just a bit too hardcore for a school library.

HS –PUBLIC ONLY Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary Librarian & Author.

No comments: