Thursday, December 20, 2012

The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper –NOT RECOMMENDED


Cooper, Michelle The FitzOsbornes at War(The Montmaray Journals Book #3) 560 pgs. Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2012. $10.87.  (Violence: PG, Language: PG, Sexual: PG13)
Told in journal format this is the continued story of the FitzOsborne royal family in exile during World War 2–told from the point of view of teenager Sophie. They are currently living in England, the Nazis having taken over their Island Country of Montmaray. Sophie goes through all the trial and tribulations of war time life –like food rationing, air-raids, lack of essentials, fear for loved ones, and more.
I am new to this series, so I kept a really open mind through about 150 pages, so I could get to know the characters and plot a bit. Then I kept reading and reading, all 560 pages of one of the most boring books I have ever read in my entire life. These characters are living through a scary and dynamic time, but something about the writing style just didn't make me feel like I was there –or care. Contained a loss of virginity scene that was pretty PG, but still, boring!!! No student will make it through this book.
HS –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary Librarian &
Author.

No comments: