Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Hueys in the New Sweater by Oliver Jeffers - OPTIONAL

Jeffers, Oliver.  The Hueys in the New Sweater Philomel (Penguin), 2012. $10.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  Hueys were the same: they looked the same, they thought the same, and they did the same things.  And then Rupert knitted an orange sweater and put it on.  All the other Hueys whispered behind Rupert's back.  They were horrified that Rupert did something that no one else had done.  But then Gillespie thought it was pretty cool, and he made an orange sweater.  Then "[b]eing different was catching on..." and more and more people followed Rupert's example.  I didn't mind the book, but there wasn't much to it.  But my biggest complaint was in the artwork at the end of the book (inside the back cover).  That artwork made too big of a leap from how the book ended.  I was confused and even bugged by it.  In and of itself, the book is worth reading and possibly worth buying.  But when I see the back cover I think, "That would never happen."  Maybe I'm being uptight and thinking too much, but it really did annoy me.  Pre-K, EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: