Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Miss Mingo: Weathers the Storm by Jamie Harper –OPTIONAL


Harper, Jamie Miss Mingo: Weathers the Storm 40 pgs. Candlewick, 2012. $12.47.  (Rating: G).
Miss Mingo, the Flamingo, and her entire class are going on a field trip up to a weather station. The weather seems a bit chancey, so the class consults with Groundhog, who doesn’t seem to be able to predict the weather. So the class endures a wide variety of weather and visits their weather station in the snow.
I thought this was a messy confusing book. There seemed to be some point to the Groundhogs role, but I never quite got what that was supposed to be. The illustration style has a rushed feeling, using bright colors to make up for lack of detail and interest. I think students would be confused or overwhelmed by this faced paced book, I know I was.
ELEMENTARY –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary Librarian & Author.

No comments: