Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Maya makes a mess by Rutu Modan –NOT RECOMMENDED


Modan, Rutu Maya makes a mess 32 pgs. Toon Books, 2012. $8.30.  (Rating: G).
Maya doesn’t have manners when eating dinner. She is shocked to suddenly be whisked off to eat with the Queen! But there are so many formalities and Maya is confused. Finally she is told by a fellow diner to “eat it the way you’re used to” and she goes to town –slurping up her ketchup laden spaghetti noodles. The others diner’s take note, and soon the whole place is in an uproar.
I actually felt ill reading this book, its vividly illustrated, that it just grossed me out big time. It should be noted I am a big fan of ketchup, so it’s not that. I think the intent of this book was good –be yourself, be unique, others can learn from that. But what I think students will get out of it is –don’t bother trying to learn new things –just do what you have always done –no matter what. Not my cup of tea, if you just desperate for some G rated early reader graphic novels, you could do worse, but I can’t even look at the cover without my stomach lurching.
ELEMENTARY –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary Librarian & Author.

No comments: