Saturday, September 8, 2012

Following Grandfather by Rosemary Wells - OPTIONAL

Wells, Rosemary.  Following Grandfather, illustrated by Christopher Denise.  Candlewick, 2012. $14.99.  CHAPTER PICTURE BOOK.  Content: G.  Jenny and her grandfather spend a day at the beach.  Priscilla, born with a silver spoon in her mouth, tries to visit Jenny and her grandfather on the poor side of the beach.  But Priscilla's mom calls her back and saves her from the filthiness of their mozzarella clam.  We then get to learn more about Jenny's grandfather and the relationship the two of them have.  This is a sweet book--I know it is.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect to it.  I enjoyed the illustrations and I loved how the book began.  But then as I read more and more, I simply found myself bored.  There are probably one hundred people out there right now loving the book.  I'm just not one of them.  I didn't care about the characters beyond chapter two.  Pre-K, EL (K-3), EL - OPTIONAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: