Thursday, May 3, 2012

May B by Caroline Starr Rose - ADVISABLE


Rose, Caroline Starr May B, 231 pgs.  Schwarz and Wade Books, 2012            $15.99 Language: G, (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.  

This historical novel written in verse takes you on a journey into the Kansas prairie.  May B is forced by her parents to leave the comforts of home just until Christmas to live with another family who she doesn’t know.   Through a drastic turn of events she finds herself alone and figuring out how to survive on her own as winter approaches.  

Due to the fact that it is written in poetry form it took me awhile to get used to reading a story as a poem.  I enjoyed the plot as my mind was captivated as it painted a picture of the prairie and the struggles of that time period.  For example, that making ends meet is more important than going to school.  I found it ended more abruptly than I was expecting.  The resolution came way to quickly in my opinion.  It’s a fun feel good read.  

EL, MS, HS, – ADVISABLE. Emilee, Teacher Librarian

No comments: