Thursday, April 19, 2012

Precious Bones by Mika Ashley-Hollinger - OPTIONAL


Ashley-Hollinger Mika Precious Bones, Delacorte, May 2012.  $17.  

Temperance Brennan, “Bones”, is only 10 years old, living in the Florida swamp with her parents Nolay, a Miccosukee Indian, and her Mama.  Land speculators want the family land for development, but Nolay runs them off.  When one of the men shows up dead, it is up to Bones to prove that her father is innocent.  

I was so confused and couldn’t enjoy this book at all.  I didn’t know if I was reading the childhood of Kathy Reichs adult novels or of the TV character, so I couldn’t settle in and enjoy the story.  I tried to figure out who Ashley-Hollinger is and why she would be writing this particular story.  I was only mildly interested in the characters and the plot.  It would have been much better had A-H created her characters from scratch.  

EL – OPTIONAL. Cindy, Library teacher.

No comments: