Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Out of This World: Poems and Facts about Space by Amy E. Sklansky - OPTIONAL

Sklansky, Amy E.  Out of This World: Poems and Facts about Space, illustrated by Stacey Schuett.  Alfred A. Knopf, 2012. $17.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  This book combines poetry and factual information to teach about space.  Every page has a different poem, and then on the right and/or left there are sidebars with various facts relating to the poems.  Plus, each page has illustrations depicting the concepts being taught.  I have to admit that I didn't love this book.  The poetry was bad.  I did enjoy the factual information, but I couldn't get over the forced, uncreative poems.  I guess I can see a use for this book with interdisciplinary teaching, but I have to believe there is better space poetry out there.  I don't know of any, but these poems seem like they were written by someone who was trying to sell a book--not write poems.  Spend your money elsewhere. EL (K-3), EL, MS - OPTIONAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: