Monday, April 23, 2012

Dinosaurs around the World by Kingfisher - ADVISABLE

KingFisher.  Dinosaurs around the WorldKingfisher (MacMillan Children's Books), 2012. $9.99.  NONFICTION.  PICTURE BOOK.  

Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE. 

This is a lift-the-flap book about dinosaurs in different periods all over the world.  Each page "specializes" to give some detail about either a different age (cretaceous, triassic, jurassic, etc...) or a different type of dinosaur (herbivore, carnivore, in the air, in the water, etc...).  Then, each page has flaps to lift to provide even more detail to learn.  

I think this is a really good book.  My 4yo daughter and my 6yo both really enjoy it.  The pages are colorful, and the flaps are perfect for both kids who just want to look at the picture and who want to learn more.  The only reason I am not giving this an essential rating is that I wish it had tried to do less, and provided more detail.  My favorite page was the one that only focused on the brachiosaurus because there was a lot of information.    

Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: