Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Death Watch by Ari Berk - OPTIONAL


Berk, Ari Death Watch, 523, Simon & Schuster, 2011. Violence: PG13, Sexual content: G, language G, (no swears).  In this lyrical novel almost reminiscent of an old ghost story, Ari Berk weaves a sad, sweet tale of a boy's quest to find his father and himself when he and his mother move back to his creepy uncle's house in their small hometown of Lichport. If Lichport is really known for anything, it's the community's morbid fixation with death. The biggest business in town aside from the tiny store is the mortuary, and ghosts seem to be wandering every corner. 

This book was hard, if not impossible to summarize, as it wove together so many important plot pieces and character stories. It was a very long read though, and you'd really have to have a very high comprehension level to understand most of it there's no doubt in my mind that it was especially beautiful. I absolutely adored every paragraph I read, especially when Bea was introduced. Every moment kept me guessing and even though I usually know right off how a book is going to end, this one really surprised me. I absolutely cannot wait to devour the next in the trilogy. 

MS, HS - OPTIONAL, Student reviewer BT

No comments: