Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone-OPTIONAL

Galdone, Paul.  The Gingerbread Boy, 48 pgs. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books, 2011.  $8.99.  Back cover: “It seems no one can keep up with the Gingerbread Boy as he outruns a little old woman, a cow, and even a field full of mowers.  But what will happen when he meets up with a very clever, very hungry fox? This riotous retelling of the popular folk tale was called “most delectable version of all” by School Library Journal.”  This is an older, traditional version of this book.  The fox actually eats the gingerbread boy and is completely satisfied in doing so.  Be cautious of little ones getting scared.  I don’t love the phrasing of this particular author.  I like “Run, run, as fast as you can.  You can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man!”  I love when the students read aloud and chant this predictable phrase with me.  In this version the wording is difficult to read using rhythmic repetition: “I’ve run away from a little old woman. I’ve run away from a little old man.  I’ve run away from a cow.  And I can run away from you, I can.”  Maybe I am just used to the modern version, but we found this more difficult to read.  The illustrations, however, are wonderful!  Pre-K.  EL (K-3).  OPTIONAL.  Reviewer: SL. 

No comments: