Monday, February 6, 2012

Extraordinary by Adam Selzer - ADVISABLE

Selzer, Adam.  Extraordinary, 324 pages.  Hyperion Books, 2011.  $15.99.  

Language: PG-13 (50 swears, 0 "f"); Sexual Content: PG (Some kissing and a couple references to "making out"); Violence: PG (no real details).  

Jennifer is mad.  She can't believe that Eileen Codlin wrote her story in a way that makes girls think that they can become princesses.  Yes, her fairy godmother did butt into her life, but Jennifer never became a fairy princess.  So Jennifer takes matters into her own hands and she tells the truth about what happened to her and her friends.  This book takes place in Des Moines just like I Kissed a Zombie and I liked It; it's just six years later.  Jennifer wants to be extraordinary, but she feels that there is not much to her.  But when her fairy godmother (actually a man) comes into her life, things get interesting.  

I really enjoyed this book.  I wouldn't say that I cared about the characters as much as I have in other books, but I still cared enough to find out what would happen to them.  But this is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.  The whole Eileen Codlin thing is just the frame that Selzer uses to tell the story, but it works well.  And it was a great commentary on books that lead girls to believe in fairy tales (because we men sure aren't going to live up to those dreams).  I believe boys and girls alike will enjoy this book, but they have to be ready to stop thinking Aurora and Belle are the end-all, be-all.  I am, however, not marking this as essential because I don't know if everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.  

MS, HS - ADVISABLE.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I LOVE Selzer's work and can't belive I missed this one. I'll definitely have to look at a copy-- his work is so funny!