Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crouching Tiger by Ying Chang Compestine - ADVISABLE

Compestine, Ying Chang.  Crouching Tiger, illustrated by Yan Nascimbene.  Candlewick Press, 2011. $16.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  

This books tells the story of Vinson (or his Chinese name: Ming Da).  Vinson wants to learn martial arts from his grandfather, but he can't wait to hit things.  He is disappointed to have to practice standing still.  Well, that's no fun.  So Vinson gets mad at his grandpa, and he doesn't talk to him.  Then, he is walking in the street with his grandpa, and Vinson watches his grandpa save a pedestrian from a board that is about to whack her.  In one smooth motion, he kicks the board and snaps it in half.  This event teaches Vinson that maybe grandpa knows what he is talking about and he listens and practices more.   

I've read so many ho hum picture books recently that I forgot what a good one looks like.  This is a good one.  I really enjoyed reading it.  I loved how Vinson had depth and his grandfather had inner peace.  I recommend this book, but I also understand that not everyone will love it.  

Pre-K, EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: