Thursday, January 26, 2012

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King - NO


King, A.S. Everybody Sees the Ants, pgs. 288. Harper Collins, 2011. $17.99 Language PG (4 swears, 0 "f" words in first 30 pages) Mature Content- PG-13/R
Lucky Lindermann isn’t very lucky. His grandmother told him he needs to find his grandfather who is a VietNam POW.  His dreams become a chance to visit with GrandDad.  A bully, Nader, has been after him since he was seven years old, but adults are too intimidated or uninvolved to stop him.  His parents are too busy or self-absorbed to realize he needs help until after another attack, Lucky’s mom finally decides to take Lucky to Arizona to stay with her brother.  

Personally, I couldn’t get past the first 30 pages.  I was interested in it because it was an award winner and hopefully a war book I could pass to boys, but the constant reference to his and other characters’ genitals was uncomfortable for me.  Nader has been a bully for years and although adults finally recognized his true character, they were too weak for me to believe. When Nader sexually abused a student in the locker room and it was described in more graphic detail than I needed, I decided to shut the book.  HS – NO. Teacher Reviewer: Christine

No comments: