Friday, January 27, 2012

Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl - ESSENTIAL


Garcia, Kami and Margaret Stohl Beautiful Chaos, 513 p. Little, Brown, 2011.  Language: PG-13 (24 swears, 0 ‘f’); Lena Caster has done the impossible – she has claimed herself for both the light and the dark.  The price, however, is being paid by the entire world, as a curse seems to have descended upon Gatlin, turning winter into one continuous dry autumn.  In order for the balance to be destroyed and for Abraham Ravenwood to be defeated, “The One That is Two” must be sacrificed on the eighteenth moon.  But with so many characters who have dual natures, no one is sure who the prophecy refers to.  Lena and Ethan and all of the friends, relatives and enemies have a lot of work to do before that moon.  

At first I was kind of put off by how slowly everything was developing within the book, but then I got to thinking about it like a train wreck or a car accident – you know it is about to happen, you can see it happening – you know it is going to be really bad when it does happen.  You know you shouldn’t look, but you just can’t make yourself stop watching as everything seems to proceed in slow motion.  Though I wasn’t happy with the ending (no spoilers here), I was glad that I continued reading – now I have to twiddle my thumbs and worry until book #4 appears.  

THERE HAD BETTER BE A BOOK NUMBER FOUR – do you hear me Kami and Margaret????  MS, HS – ESSENTIAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: