Monday, November 21, 2011

A Zeal of Zebras by Woop Studios - ESSENTIAL

Woop Studios.  A Zeal of Zebras Chronicle Books, 2011. $17.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  This is an A to Z book, with each letter of the alphabet starting with a collective noun for a group of animals.  For example, the book starts with "An Aurora of Polar Bears...A Bale of Turtles...[and] A Caravan of Camels" and goes on from there.  After each collective noun and animal group, Woop Studios has written a few sentences about the animals themselves.  And nearly every page is filled with clever wordplay.  This was a great book.  But when I first read it, I wasn't sure what the book was.  I had heard of an ostentation of peacocks, but I had no idea that a group of cobras was a quiver.  However, before writing this review, I did look in a few websites and found that they are true.  Therefore, I love this book because I can learn a ton from it.  It was quite clever and has great illustrations.   Even older readers can learn something.  Pre-K, EL(K-3), EL, MS, HS - ESSENTIAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: