Monday, May 2, 2011

The 3 Little Dassies by Jan Brett -OPTIONAL

Brett, Jan The 3 Little Dassies, 32 pgs. Putnam Juvenile, 2010. $10.58. EARLY READER.
This African themed story is based on the classic tale of ‘The three little pigs’. In this case the pigs are an adorable African animal called a Dassie, and the wolf is a large eagle with a family to feed. Three dassie sister’s find a new place to call home and each build their own house. When the eagle discovers that some houses are easier to destroy than others, he carries them off one by one to feed to his nestlings. As their new friend, an Agama lizard sets off to rescue them, one lone sister must stand her ground. Will her home be strong enough?
I love the cultural twist to this re-telling, featuring native creatures, scenery, and designs of Africa. There was a hole in the plot that snagged me, but I don’t think a youngster will have qualms with it. The artwork is beyond stunning. It is detailed, unique, and creates both a beautiful and enchanting scene. One problem for me is that some of the plot takes place in offset artwork, to the side of the main scene and wording. I was confused and had to go back and figure out if I skipped a page. I don’t think this will flow well for a young reader in a school, so I am going to stick with optional.
K-3 –OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Stephanie MLS graduate.

No comments: