Friday, February 25, 2011

The Secret to Lying by Todd Mitchell - ADVISABLE


Mitchell, Todd The Secret to Lying, 329 pgs. Candlewick Press, 2010.

Language - PG (34 swears, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG-13; Violence - PG

James is invisible. A nobody. No one notices him, so when he gets a chance to go to a boarding high school, he takes it. There he creates a new life for himself, a new James. But life's not all gumdrops and roses, James is losing something. James is running from something. James needs help. From what? With what? Not even James himself knows.

Amazing is the only way I can describe this book. I made assumptions from the very first couple of chapters and I kept waiting for them to come into play, but not all of them came true, and none how I anticipated. James has inner conflict with his dreams and conflict with school mates and elders. I loved watching how everything unraveled and was a surprise for me. I couldn't put it down, despite my having to get up at 5:15 am.

MS, HS - ADVISABLE. Reviewer: CCH

No comments: