Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge - OPTIONAL


Hardinge, Frances The Lost Conspiracy, 576 pgs. HarperCollins, 2009.

(Within the first 150 pages) Language - G; Sexual Content - G; Violence - PG.

From Goodreads: "Arilou is proclaimed a beautiful prophetess, one of the island's precious oracles: a Lost. Hathin, her junior, is her nearly invisible attendant. But neither Arilou nor Hathin is exactly what she seems, and they live a lie that is carefully constructed and jealously guarded. When the sisters are unknowingly drawn into a sinister, island-wide conspiracy, quiet, unobtrusive Hathin must journey beyond all she has known and her world and of herself in a desperate attempt to save them both. As the stakes mount and falsehoods unravel, she discovers that the only thing more dangerous than the secret she hides is the truth she must uncover."

Truthfully, I got to page 165 before I gave up. The intended audience are children, but it's such a long book and the beginning is extremely slow. I don't know how this would really appeal to them. Unless you have some really dedicated readers who you feel would be interested in this story, I'd skip it. I'm sure it gets better (I've heard really good things about this book), I just wasn't willing to wait any longer for that to happen.

EL, MS - OPTIONAL reviewer: Rebekah, public librarian

No comments: