Thursday, October 7, 2010

They Called Themselves the K.K.K. by Susan Bartoletti


Bartoletti, Susan Campbell They Called Themselves the K.K.K. 168 p. Houghton Mifflin, 2010.  $19.00.  Violence: PG-13 (descriptions of various klan violence), Language: PG-13 (language of the day).  Through Lots of drawings of the day, some photos, lots of documented eyewitness accounts, Bartoletti delivers a powerful book about the rise, the deeds and the history of the Ku Klux Klan.  The narrative ends after the trials of the 1870’s – I wonder if Bartoletti will do a follow-up with more detailed information about the modern Klan?  It is definitely needed.  This is an excellent resource for any classroom that touches on race relations, civil rights, or American history.  MS, HS – ESSENTIAL. Cindy, Library-Teacher.

1 comment:

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I just received this for my classroom, but have not read it yet. I'm glad to hear that I made a great purchase!