Monday, March 1, 2010

Bleeding VIolet by Dia Reeves


Reeves, Dia Bleeding Violet, 454 p. Simon Pulse, 2010. $16.99. Language: NC-17 (165+ swears, 20 “f”); Violence: NC-17; Sexual Content: R. Hanna, 16, has never met her mother. Now her father is dead and she has fled her aunt’s home and is determined to make living with her mom, Rosalee, work. Everyone in Portrero, Texas is certain that Hanna will be gone soon, though they seem to imply that she will be dead, not just gone. The Mortmaine work hard to keep Portrero safe and Wyatt, a new member of the group, catches Hanna’s eye. Fueled partly by her own stubbornness and also by her mania, Hanna is determined to carve herself a niche in this town – literally, including the time she carves herself free from the intestines of a giant scorpion monster. Think Sunnydale with a WHOLE LOT more blood. And sex. Though the recommendations I have seen are for ages 14+, I would up that by a good 4 years. My own son is 19 and I don’t think I would suggest this to him as a read. Besides the gore and the monsters, there are some very disturbing sex-driven scenes that can’t be waved away. If I were stocking this in a public library, I would put it in the adult horror section, not anywhere near YA. PUBLIC – OPTIONAL. Cindy, Library-Teacher

No comments: