Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Move over Gary Paulsen!

A new novel - the author's first - will have "Hatchet" fans running for the shelves!

Hokenson, Terry The Winter Road, 175 p. - The morning Uncle Jordy is supposed to fly Willa's mother onto the next remote settlement in the far northern reaches of the Hudson Bay area, Willa finds him sleeping off a drunk instead. So WIlla takes matters into her own hands and flies the plane herself - an unplanned first solo flight. A severe storm wrecks the plane and leaves Willa with a little food and a large store of homegrown survival knowledge. After she fails to grab the attention of the rescue planes overhead, she makes the life-changing decision to find her own way to safety. At first I was a little skeptical that this was just a blatant "Hatchet" ripoff. But the longer I read, the more I liked, and then fell in love with this excellent first effort. Descriptive, exciting writing, excellent survival skills (as if I would know! - city girl that I am!) and by the end I had tears in my eyes, because I couldn't stand the suspense any more!!! I can't wait for the author's next book. EL, MS, HS - ESSENTIAL

1 comment:

Caryn said...

So glad to see you have a blog for your summer reviews! I'm the new librarian at Grand County High School in Moab, and Georgia Loudensock recommended I check out your reviews. Will be blogmarking you and checking back and will, of course, also read your reviews archives. I adore fiction for teens and young adults and am always looking for suggestions. Have a great afternoon!